Friday, April 20, 2012

The humanities: learning, sacrifice, and love.


     I arose this morning, exercised while listening to a devotional on television, accomplished my household chores, and then had my personal devotional where I read, studied, and pondered scripture, prayed, showered, and got dressed for work.  I wore my Army uniform for the first time in over 15 years.  The colorful cloth and shiny metal on the jacket include an Expert Field Medical Badge, a National Defense Service Medal, and a Humanitarian Service Medal.  I put on my white lab coat over the uniform and left the house.

     I rode my bicycle the two miles to the medical center where I rounded on my patients, most of whom were receiving dialysis today.  Each patient has a unique story and a special spirit.  After charting and completing paperwork, I pedaled another two miles to the university where my son-in-law received his commission as a Second Lieutenant in the Air Force.  General Robert C. Oaks spoke at the ceremony.  After a small reception, we came home for lunch and I played with two of my grandsons. 

     Graduation for my daughter and son-in-law went from late afternoon to early evening.  The learning, sacrifice, and the love demonstrated by faculty, students, and families were amazing.  It was quite a day.

     Thank you, Sue, for driving me to and from the graduation ceremony.  Thank you, Matt, for letting me borrow your shoes.  Thank you, Ben, for calling me to let me know you arrived in Buffalo safely.  Thank you, all, who diligently learn, sacrifice, and serve as Jesus would.  God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment